Saturday 31 March 2007

Family Tree Project

First, I'll introduce myself. I'm Steve Bloom, from a small town in Virginia, US where I am a college professor. My great grandmother, who I only met once as a child, was from Salakas, Lithuania, and I have found her and her family in the Revision Lists.

I wanted to let everybody know that I have begun a family tree project, starting with Salakas.
The project will begin with creating trees from the on-line Revision Lists, but I will add more info from other sources (personal genealogies, Yad Vashem testimony, etc.). I have already added a handful of names from Yad Vashem that were fairly clearly the same person, but with, in some cases, maiden names added, or names of children, etc.

I have started with the surname ROZENBERG, since my ROZENBERG family was from Salakas. In addition to my family, I found 12 other apparently unrelated families in Salakas.
However, commonality of certain gives names, particularly Honel, suggests that there might be some common ancestry. Eventually, translating the somewhat earlier lists may help us to make these connections.

I will next move on to the KORB and SHADUR families, since I have seen these names already on the blog. Past that, I will collect trees for any surname requested. If none are requested, I'll
just go in alphabetical order of surname.

I will make trees with Family Tree Maker, which can be coverted to many other formats.

Suggestions on where to go next will be most welcome. Of course, it is my intention to make the data widely available for download somehow, but, for now, I can just email folks a tree upon request, once it is finished.

This is the sort of project that is likely to add to our knowledge incrementally rather than break through all the brick walls, but I do think representing the info in tree format will help make connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment